Thursday, December 20, 2007

My thoughts about my play and such

1. The limitation that I had the most trouble with was the length. At first I had an idea for the play, but it was just too hard and too complex to write unless I wrote 30 or more pages. Then I thought of another play idea, the one I ended up using, but when I typed it up, it wasn't quite five pages. SO I ended up having to add lines, while not bad, they just didn't flow with the rest of my dialogue.

I don't really see myself getting involved with writing any more plays or any of its sister forms. My older brother, who is at college and studying theatre, is more apt to do something like that. I on the other hand will stick to poetry. Why? because it's not complicated, but it can be if you want it to be. Also it rymes and can be any length you want. It can tell a stroy or not tell a story. Ultimately there aren't too many regulations when it comes to writing poetry and that's why I like it.

2. Oh the endless possibililties of what I could write about... my life is just one big book of short stories... not really. I'm not completely sure as to what I'd want to write about. I could write about the time when I was 5 and I went to the Mall of America for the first time. That was quite the experience because I ran into those big, glass doors. However, there's not really a theme in that story unless you count "make sure there's not a glass door in front of you before you run down a hallway" a theme. Most likely I'll end up writing about my first day at South View because it was probably the biggest change I've had so far. Although I think the transition to college will top that.

3. If I could give advice to a 10-year-old child, I would tell him or her not to worry. I would say go just have fun with your friends and not worry a lot about school because at this point in your life, grades don't matter. However, that doesn't mean he or she should blow off school entirely. They should try their best, but if they don't get the grade they want, don't stress out about it. Also, I would tell him or her to stick with what they're doing. Whether it's an instrument, sport, or hobby, they should keep up with it. Even if they don't like it and don't want to put the time into it, just keep doing it because later in life you'll be glad you did. For example, I wish I had stuck with the piano because now I wish I could play anything and everything with ease. I also wish I had stuck with swimming and tennis because those are things you can do for the rest of your life. Oh and I'd tell them to work hard from 9th grade to 11th grade because those are the most crucial years of their whole education. Personally, I didn't work as hard in 9th or 10th grade as I should have and now I wish I had. I also wish I would have prepared for the ACT and SAT more. So I'd also tell them to prep early for those. And that would be pretty much all I would tell them. As for drinking, using drugs, and sex, I'd tell them to just be smart about it.

4 comments:

Megan's Blog said...

That's some great advice i think that you would give to the kids. Kind of like mine...follow your dreams...I think that that MOA story would be quite a funny story to read if it's just for fun i would say go for it if their has to be a moral i would have to say you are S.O.L.

Jamie's Blog said...

I have always liked your poems but i have not read your play yet but i bet that is good too. I think the mall of america story would be fun to read. and the south view one so i guess whatever you pick would be good. And lastely i like your advice you would give.

Tom's Blog said...

That's a funny story about running into the glass doors at MOA. I'm sure your first day at Southview, or even your first year (if it didn't get too long) would be good to write about. I'm sure you have lots of interesting stories. You were in my LA class with Ms. Loo weren't you?? That class was a party.

common sense said...

Hey Sarah :)